Monday, January 28, 2013

Light Observations


Observation #1: Two weekends ago I went surfing on Carolina Beach just a couple of hours before sunset. The sun was really low in the sky, and the water was extremely glassy that day. As I was sitting on my board waiting for a good wave to ride, I couldn’t help but notice how beautiful the sunlight looked shining through the waves right before they crashed into white water. Right before waves curl over they become much thinner, allowing for the sun to shine through from behind and create a vibrant yellowish-green tint. This is something I have always noticed while surfing in the afternoon, and has always been one of my favorite sights to see.

Observation #2: Yesterday morning I was in one of my friend’s apartments watching my roommate, Kelsey, smoke a cigarette. Because everyone that lived there smokes, they let people do it inside. (Not something I could ever life with, but hey, to each their own.) The blinds were halfway open letting in little slits of morning light. Kelsey was sitting on the ground near the window casually talking to our friend Dax. I was sitting pretty far away, trying to avoid the inescapable smell. I found myself captivated by the way that the light was hitting the rising smoke. Slowing drifting around in circles and spirals, the smoke highlighted by the sun looked almost solid as compared to the smoke hidden behind the blinds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment